Wongm's Rail Gallery » Melbourne freight terminals » Melbourne Steel Terminal

Melbourne Steel Terminal

Opened in 1995 west of North Melbourne Station, next to Footscray Road, the terminal was where steel products were once transshipped from broad to standard gauge trains for the journey down to the Bluescope mill down at Hastings. In 2015 the terminal was closed to make room for the 'E' gate development, with South Dynon taking over the role.

Western end of the Melbourne Steel Terminal

7 August 2007 15:57 PM
Viewed 956 times
(2 times this month, 78 times this year)

Key switch for signalling outside the Melbourne Steel Terminal

7 August 2007 15:54 PM
Viewed 709 times
(1 time this month, 50 times this year)

Mi-Jack crane under repair at the Melbourne Steel Terminal

30 May 2007 14:35 PM
Viewed 792 times
(4 times this month, 68 times this year)

Sign outside the former South Yard, now the Melbourne Steel Terminal

30 May 2007 14:28 PM
Viewed 879 times
(5 times this month, 69 times this year)

Mi-Jack crane sitting above the transfer roads

30 May 2007 14:24 PM
Viewed 334 times
(1 time this month, 54 times this year)

Buffers at the south end of the steel terminal headshunt

16 August 2006 13:52 PM
Viewed 880 times
(1 time this week, 2 times this month, 75 times this year)

Mi-Jack crane under repair at the Melbourne Steel Terminal

16 August 2006 13:46 PM
Viewed 806 times
(1 time this week, 3 times this month, 65 times this year)

Cement shed at the south end of the Melbourne Steel Terminal, with Wegmann carriage OWA91 stored underneath

16 August 2006 13:45 PM
Viewed 1150 times
(2 times this month, 67 times this year)

Viewed 3181 times (12 times this week, 28 times this month, 380 times this year)