Wongm's Rail Gallery » Melbourne railway traction substations

Melbourne railway traction substations

Scattered around Melbourne's suburban railway network, 68 traction substations convert 22,000V AC power supplied by electricity companies to the 1500V DC used by trains. The extension of suburban trains to South Morang and Sunbury will add four more. (a different source put the number in 2008 at 67 substations and 23 tie stations)

Rushall Switching Station, near the Epping Line

6 March 2012 10:10 AM
Viewed 724 times
(6 times this month, 70 times this year)

Bayswater tie station, at the down end of the yard

Electrical sections are numbered 137/1, 143/1, 141/1, 142/1 and 140/1

18 February 2012 14:31 PM
Viewed 702 times
(3 times this week, 6 times this month, 72 times this year)

Bayswater tie station, at the down end of the yard

Electrical sections are numbered 137/1, 143/1, 141/1, 142/1 and 140/1

18 February 2012 14:30 PM
Viewed 736 times
(4 times this month, 70 times this year)

Footscray tie station: the original building, since abandoned

15 February 2012 18:41 PM
Viewed 933 times
(6 times this month, 53 times this year)

Footscray tie station: opened in the 1980s

15 February 2012 18:41 PM
Viewed 1214 times
(1 time this week, 17 times this month, 168 times this year)

Flinders Street substation: tramways is smaller building to the left, railway is the larger one to the right

Commissioned as part of the Jolimont rationalisation works.

3 February 2012 18:23 PM
Viewed 906 times
(1 time this week, 15 times this month, 99 times this year)

Albion substation, commissioned in 1960 with 1500 kW capacity

28 January 2012 12:05 PM
Viewed 767 times
(1 time this week, 7 times this month, 69 times this year)

Albion substation, switchyard and traction feeds to the overhead

28 January 2012 12:04 PM
Viewed 1057 times
(4 times this week, 18 times this month, 200 times this year)

Albion substation, located on the up side of Ginifer station

28 January 2012 12:03 PM
Viewed 854 times
(14 times this month, 119 times this year)

Blackburn substation, street side

Commissioned in 1958 with 1000 kW capacity, expanded to 1500 kW in 1960

26 January 2012 20:51 PM
Viewed 793 times
(5 times this month, 82 times this year)

Mitcham substation, upgraded with 50 Hz equipment in 1962 to 1500 kW capacity

The building dates back to electrification of the suburban network, fed by a 25 Hz supply with a pair of rotary converters providing 1,500 kW capacity

26 January 2012 20:40 PM
Viewed 733 times
(1 time this week, 6 times this month, 75 times this year)

Mitcham substation, another set of traction feeds

26 January 2012 20:40 PM
Viewed 634 times
(1 time this week, 6 times this month, 64 times this year)

Mitcham substation, traction feeds to the overhead

26 January 2012 20:40 PM
Viewed 839 times
(5 times this month, 61 times this year)

Mitcham substation, located in the railway station car park

26 January 2012 20:39 PM
Viewed 941 times
(2 times this week, 7 times this month, 72 times this year)

Croydon substation, the switchyard enclosed in a brick wall

26 January 2012 20:17 PM
Viewed 979 times
(3 times this week, 8 times this month, 72 times this year)

Croydon substation, in the railway station car park. Commissioned in 1969 with 1500 kW capacity

26 January 2012 20:16 PM
Viewed 779 times
(2 times this week, 10 times this month, 79 times this year)

Lilydale substation, 1980s design, at the down end of the stabling yard

26 January 2012 19:59 PM
Viewed 1051 times
(1 time this week, 18 times this month, 143 times this year)

Mooroolbark substation, traction feeds 128/1, 129/2 and 130/1

26 January 2012 19:40 PM
Viewed 755 times
(5 times this month, 67 times this year)

Mooroolbark substation, the '1985' implies this extension of the building was done in the 1980s

26 January 2012 19:38 PM
Viewed 745 times
(10 times this month, 78 times this year)

Mooroolbark substation, located near the Mooroolbark Road bridge

26 January 2012 19:35 PM
Viewed 1042 times
(3 times this week, 33 times this month, 165 times this year)

Ferntree Gully substation: 1,500 kW capacity commissioned in 1957

Originally opened in 1924 with 25 Hz equipment, being the first on the system to be fed by mercury arc rectifiers

26 January 2012 18:59 PM
Viewed 1053 times
(2 times this week, 16 times this month, 137 times this year)

Ferntree Gully substation, 'V.R. Substation No. 29' on the facade

26 January 2012 18:59 PM
Viewed 934 times
(4 times this week, 11 times this month, 87 times this year)

Ferntree Gully substation, traction feeds 142/1, 144/1 and 143/1

26 January 2012 18:58 PM
Viewed 767 times
(10 times this month, 97 times this year)

Ferntree Gully substation, apparently the only one of this design, located at the up end of the station

26 January 2012 18:57 PM
Viewed 861 times
(3 times this week, 21 times this month, 235 times this year)

Viewed 11759 times (32 times this week, 59 times this month, 1564 times this year)