Wongm's Rail Gallery » Melbourne railway traction substations

Melbourne railway traction substations

Scattered around Melbourne's suburban railway network, 68 traction substations convert 22,000V AC power supplied by electricity companies to the 1500V DC used by trains. The extension of suburban trains to South Morang and Sunbury will add four more. (a different source put the number in 2008 at 67 substations and 23 tie stations)

Cremorne substation, commissioned in 1972 with 5000 kW capacity

28 February 2009 18:19 PM
Viewed 966 times
(2 times this week, 1 time this month, 8 times this year)

Laverton tie station, commissioned in the 1990s

26 October 2008 07:34 AM
Viewed 891 times
(3 times this week, 12 times this year)

Newport substation, now a community arts centre

Commissioned in 1920 with three 25 Hz rotary converters supplying 4500 kW capacity, replaced in 1967 by smaller substations at Yarraville and Williamstown

29 July 2008 10:12 AM
Viewed 1157 times
(1 time this week, 1 time this month, 14 times this year)

Paisley substation at Altona Junction, 1500 kW capacity commissioned in 1969

29 July 2008 08:40 AM
Viewed 1148 times
(2 times this week, 2 times this month, 9 times this year)

Aircraft substation at the down end, commissioned with 1983 electrification to Werribee

27 February 2008 08:24 AM
Viewed 1051 times
(3 times this week, 2 times this month, 7 times this year)

22 kV AC transmission lines attached to the stanchions on the Epping line at Thornbury

28 October 2007 17:01 PM
Viewed 1097 times
(2 times this week, 2 times this month, 13 times this year)

Werribee substation at the down end of the station, commissioned with 1983 electrification

11 August 2007 08:42 AM
Viewed 958 times
(2 times this week, 2 times this month, 7 times this year)

Newmarket tie station, located in the building that once housed Melbourne's first traction substation

Originally it was fed by 25 Hz power and housed three rotary converters that gave 9,000 kW capacity

21 September 2005 14:17 PM
Viewed 1085 times
(3 times this week, 3 times this month, 14 times this year)

Coburg substation, originally opened in 1933 as V.R. Sub-Station No. 33

11 August 2005 15:37 PM
Viewed 824 times
(1 time this week, 12 times this year)

Viewed 12561 times (14 times this week, 79 times this month, 285 times this year)